What to consider when planning the garden beds:
Focus on five vegetable plant families for rotation planning purposes:
- Allium Family: chive, garlic, leeks, onions, and shallots.
- Solanaceae Family: eggplant, peppers, potatoes, tomatillo and tomatoes.
- Brassica Family: broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, kale, kohlrabi, mustard greens, radish, rutabaga, spinach, and turnip.
- Cucurbit Family: cucumbers, gourds, melons, pumpkin, and squash.
- Legume Family: beans and peas.
The plants in each family are grouped together and planted in the same beds.
Tall trellised plants such as peas, pole beans, and indeterminate tomatoes are limited to the north end of the garden beds, so they don’t shade other plants.