Organic chickens are not only the “in” thing that fetches a higher price on the market. It’s also a more humane way to raise your chickens and provides a number of benefits to the consumer, including:
- Organic chicken breasts are lower in calories and higher in protein
- More B vitamins, selenium and niacin
- No additives, preservatives, pesticides or antibiotics
- Chickens are less susceptible to disease
To raise, certified organic chickens, you must take the following steps:
- Each chicken must have at least 2 square feet of green space to roam and eat insects.
- Chickens are only housed when the weather is bad, but must have free outdoor access.
- Birds must have enough room for natural behavior and to move without injury.
- Chickens must have access to direct sunlight and fresh air.
- Chickens must eat only grains certified to be free from pesticides and meat-free.
- Chickens must have clean water, free from antibiotics.
- Housing must be disinfected with approved products between flocks to prevent contamination.
- Vaccinations for Marek’s Newcastle, and Coccidiosis are allowed, but alternative therapies advocated by holistic veterinarians are encouraged.
- You must complete an application and provide documentation to the certifying body in your area.
- You must allow inspectors to check your facility for compliance.
|Article: Jennn Fusion Twitter: @jennnfusion|